Using Student Development Theory: A Practical Approach – Workshop Description:
Student development theory comes in many sizes, shapes and forms. Theories can be specific, broad and found in stages or vectors, but all are supported by empirical research. There are many theories that are taught to those studying and preparing for a career within Higher Education. Learn how to maximize your impact in helping students move through stages of development with an intentional and purposeful approach. Our Coaches are trained in using Student Development Theory to inform their work, and to help college students make incredible transformations, assisting them in achieving success in life. We can help you learn how to use theory in your everyday work with college students.
- Participants will be able to identify short & long term career goals.
- Participants will be able to identify student development theories that resonate with them.
- Participants will be able to investigate their own development when they were in college through the lens of multiple student development theories.
- Participants will be able to develop their own eclectic theoretical orientation.
- Participants will be able to assess where their students are at through the lens of their own eclectic theoretical orientation.
- Participants will be able to apply knowledge learned from this workshop into their everyday work with college students.